REVIEWS: RED PEPPER HOUMOUS + SWEET POTATO WEDGES
Here we have the first of the reviews I’m going to be writing from the recipes in the Deliciously Ella cookbook. There are so many exciting looking recipes it was difficult to know where to start! The meals are based around nutrition and being good to your body so it’s great to not have that guilty feeling when you’re tucking in. I started small for now with sweet potato wedges and roasted pepper houmous.
Sweet Potato Wedges
These were absolutely delicious! I’d never have thought to use cinnamon with sweet potato wedges but it complimented flavours from the potatoes and rosemary so well. The instructions state 1 hour of baking but mine burnt slightly in this time, so it would be best to keep an eye while they’re in the oven!
You will need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 heaped tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tbs paprika
- Dozen sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Slice the sweet potatoes into thick wedges. Place on a baking tray then drizzle with olive oil (a generous helping). Add the cinnamon and paprika and stir well so that they are well coated
- Lay the rosemary sprigs on top (I used dried as I didn’t have fresh)
- Bake for an hour – turning once or twice.
Roasted Red Pepper Houmous
This houmous is very tasty and has a great kick to it. I absolutely love roasted red pepper and you can really taste them in this. Although I did find it that it was a bit watery for my taste so I did add about another half a tin of chickpeas at the end to thicken it up. I also found it a bit oily so would probably use less next time!
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
- 10 tbs olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 heaped tbs of tahini
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 large red peppers
- ½ jalepeno pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees
- Slice the red peppers into about 8 strips. Place on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes until they begin to brown
- While the peppers are baking, place the rest of the ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- When the peppers are ready remove them from the oven and let them cool. Then add them to the food processor with the houmous and blend until smooth.
I thought these were a great combo so would recommend them together! So far I have a good impression of the so I look forward to next cooking session with it!